Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Making a Pinafore

Hello! Today I'm showing you how I made a pinafore! I think it turned out really cute and I'll be wearing it a lot this summer. Here's the tutorial!

First, I'm making the skirt. It's going to be a half circle skirt so it doesn't float up as much. First, I'm taking measurements and making a pattern.


1. Inner circle: 
Measure your waist and divide by 3.14. 

My measurement: 56 cm : 3.14 =  18 cm



2. Outer circle:
Choose how long you want your skirt to be. 

My measurements:
Length = 37 cm
Waist = 5 cm
37 - 5 = 32 cm
+ extra hem allowance (5 cm)
+ Inner circle (18 cm)
= 55 cm




Now cut!


Here's the finished pattern piece!

Now take your fabric, fold it in half and put down your pattern piece.



Make sure that one edge lines up with the folded edge! Now cut!


Here's your piece. Now let's start the waistband!

Now for your waistband do: 
Length = waist (56 cm for me) + 3 inches (7.62 cm) = 63.62 cm 
Width = desired width (5 cm for me) x 2 = 10 cm

This is what it looks like!


Now you need to sew the pieces together. First, pin it, then sew. 



Finished seam

I'm also going to serge it, but this is optional. Then I put interfacing in the waistband because I waistband to stay stiff, the fabric alone is too drapey for it to be stiff. I also serged the top edge of the waistband. 

Here's me ironing on the interfacing.

Then I measured where the zipper would go etc. and sewed the side up.



I ironed the seam down.

So that it looks like this.

Marking where the zipper will go.

This is how I sewed the zipper down.

I taped it down.

I pinned it.

Use a zipper foot! (If you can) Sew it down. (I forgot to take a picture of this!)

I'm pulling off the tape.

Rip the seam over the zipper out.

Fold the top of the zipper into each side.

 Pin the waistband down.

 Sew it down.

Here's the hem at the bottom.

Here's a look at it from the other side!

Now I'll show you the top part. This is a picture of the cut out fabric and the pattern. Just determine how big you personally want it to be. This is mine.



Lay the interfacing ou one side and iron!


Pin and sew it! (Sorry I didn't get a picture of the finished top part!)

Now for the straps! You pretty much get to choose how to make these. I made mine 3 cm thick. These are the finished ones!


These are what the snaps look like.



Now I'm figuring out where I'll attach the straps. I pinned the top part and straps on, now I need to sew it.

I'm going to sew along the top where the pins are.

As long as you can see a tiny bit of the edge while sewing your fine.

Here's the end result!





It was really fun! And easy. I hope you guys try this project out, tell me what you think!

<3 Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment